Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Unsinkable NBL (Can I get a life boat please?)

Ruth: So this is the ship they say is unsinkable. 
Cal Hockley: It is unsinkable. God himself could not sink this ship. 


Dishes in the sink, laundry in the dryer, bags to pack, groceries to buy, and I find myself unable to resist the overwhelming urge to blog.


The Mississippi River is rising, Alabama is struggling to recover from tornado damage, our world is a general mess that I choose to close the blinds on, and what kept me up all night?-- the demise of the National Bicycle League.

At 9:47 last night my phone beeped out a simple text: "check vintage" was all it said. For you non-bmxers, that's vintagebmx.com, the information forum for all things BMX. Here's what I read:

"This info has come from several very reliable sources. Gary Aragon gave all the employees a two week notice and said they would be out of money in two weeks! They had an emergency board meeting this morning at 6:30 AM EST to discuss an exit strategy or some sort of restructure...... Even the possiblity of desolving the NBL and just being GSX, but who knows, the people I spoke with are very concerned and very in the loop....

My concern is the tracks that are owed money and the new riders who purchased the all inclusive memberships, as you know I have not been the biggest fan of the way the NBL has been run in the last several years, but I still care about BMXers and I have a lot friends who run NBL tracks and care about them..... If I were you and I were a NBL Track Director I would take immediate action because this is real and very reliable....."

Thomas Andrews: Please, tell only who you must. I don't want to be responsible for a panic. And get to a boat quickly, don't wait.


So, we've devoted the past 6 months of this race season to the NBL. With our race funds dwindling, and time running out, it's a little late for us to jump ship and try to qualify in the ABA. Besides, we live in Florida!

Jack: Don't you do that, don't say your good-byes. Not yet, do you understand me? 


We find ourselves in a pickle. All of this information comes to us as we plan to head out on a 9-hour drive to a NBL national in North Carolina. As of this moment, we're going. I have one thing to say to the folks on Vintage, in the words of the Unsinkable Molly Brown:


Knock it off. You're scaring me. C'mon girls! Grab an oar, let's go! 

What I know to be true is that I am, and will remain--

BMX Mom

1 comment:

  1. You'll also remain quite clever, channeling and yet defying the sinking ship! Good luck with this. It's not like the NBL hit an iceberg or anything. It might right itself yet-

    ReplyDelete